Friday, February 3, 2012

A Little Politics

Yeah, yeah... I know... I don't usually do this.
But this article has prompted me to write about it, as it actually is somewhat relevant to my situation.

I do genuinely understand some upset and push-back from religious run organizations. For the same reason I understand religious run hospitals wishing to refuse to do abortions. But, I think we should likely make something clear... to my knowledge (and I fully admit I do not currently have proof to back up this statement, but will endeavor to research it and get back to you on this), there ARE certain circumstances where the Church (and we're speaking specifically of the Catholic Church) does give dispensation for reasons to be on birth control (I'm not sure if there are similar dispensations for abortion... again... need research). Now, granted, this may be a case of those crazy American bishops/priests/etc. "forgiving" things they aren't supposed to.

When I was diagnosed with endometriosis, after the surgery to remove what the doctor found, the recommendation was that I go on The Pill. I was probably around 16 or 17 at the time. My doctor at the time was very religious (though not affiliated with a religious hospital) and my mother, being a good Catholic was concerned about this from a religious point of view. Was allowing me to be on birth control against the Church's "mandate" against birth control? It was decided that, to save me from continued pain and also to attempt to prevent infertility later on in life, birth control in this situation was acceptable.

Let's take a step back for a moment. Take a look at your medical insurance. Look up the medical policy on "infertility" and also the policy on abortion. Go ahead... I'll wait.

I'm willing to bet that if you do you'll most likely find what I did.

A policy that covers nothing or next to nothing for "infertility" treatments; but that covers "elective abortion."

Now, if you're not remotely religious, this post probably doesn't effect you at all. In fact, you're probably saying "so?"

But, if you're religious or, even if you're not, but you've suffered through fertility issues, you may be exactly as livid as I am about this little piece of information (and, btw... if your insurance policy covers both and more, good for you and you better darn well find a way to keep hold of that policy).

Birth control pills CAN and ARE used for things other than to prevent unwanted pregnancies. In fact, in some cases, they can help to ensure the ability to procreate later. Abortions, regardless of your religious belief, are sometimes necessary in life-saving situations and in situations which could help assure the ability to procreate later in life. Fertility treatments are necessary for some couples who, for one reason or another, are unable to conceive on their own.

Our health care system is broken. When my insurance company is ruling my treatment, rather than my doctor, when my government is telling me what is or is not necessary or "right" for me, the system needs fixed. And, while I do respect the fact that some people feel very strongly about what goes on in my uterus, the simple fact is, that in the end, this will be between me and my God.

If we're going to mandate certain things to prevent procreation (even if that is the "side effect" of a necessary procedure), let's make sure it's equally mandated for folks who WANT to have children. I'm angry that my dream may have to come down to a decision based on "I can no longer afford to continue this process."

I guess this makes me Pro-Life-Choice. Or something.

(Author's note: I *know* some folks probably don't agree with me. That's fine. I don't need to hear your arguments, so please refrain. I've said it before, I'll say it again... the whole situation is extremely emotionally charged for me and if you can't understand this, move along and keep your opinions to yourself. Because I'm tired of fighting; I'm tired of defending. Unless you're standing in my shoes, you can't understand...)

No comments:

Post a Comment