Friday, March 4, 2011

The Pitter Patter

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a mother. More than any "career"; more than any other dream. As crazy as it might sound to some people, I'd be perfectly happy "keeping house", changing diapers, cooking meals, teaching what I know to a little me.

And, each day that I get closer to the potential reality of that, the more scared I become. I've been unemployed since November. I had hoped this would be a good time for me to do all the things I want around the house. And get myself in shape and figure out all the things I need to do to get myself ready for this "big moment" I'm anticipating in my life.

And I have accomplished so little. What's more, all I have done is come to realize there are so many obstacles to my ultimate dream (stay-at-home mom) and so many obstacles for even the start of the dream (being a mom, period).

I'm terrified of this not working... of being a "waste" of time and money and hopes. And every little "broken" piece of me which could get transferred to a little me if it does work. Terrified that I won't be a good mom, that I won't be able to provide for my baby, that I won't be there when I am needed.

I know a lot of these worries are normal. But, they're standing in the way of me being happy for the process and I don't like that.

I want this to work. I have all these ideas of how I want to raise my child. And the joy of doing so.

But I need to stop getting in my own way over it.

3 comments:

  1. love you dear, and loving the writings so far. i like getting into your head :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My head can be a super scary place sometimes! That's why I need to get OUT of my head by putting it to proverbial paper.

    I know it's been a little whiney, but I've always found it to be my best therapy to just get it out. And, sometimes I don't explain verbally my thoughts and feelings as well as I can in writing. So, in that way, it helps the ones I care about understand what's really going on with me when I'm (insert appropriate negative emotion here).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are never, ever a waste. I know it. I believe it. I *FEEL* you. I also know that horrible nagging voice inside your head that says, "You're a fake. You're unworthy. You're not good enough." I have a few wonderful people helping me kick that voice's teeth into its skull and if you want I'll help you do the same.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete