Friday, March 25, 2011

Having "needs"

I don't really consider myself a "needy" person. I'm fairly self-reliant; I've managed to pull myself through an awful lot in this short time I've been on Planet Earth. But, sometimes... more than anything else, I do just need a hug or a touch or a kiss on the forehead. A tangible show that I'm not alone, I'm not as useless as I sometimes feel and I'm validated when I'm feeling emotional or needy.

I don't necessarily consider this "hormonal" or "girlie" or gender-related in any way.

We all need this sort of contact from time to time. Words can only get one so far. I've always said it's easy to say "I love you" and far more important to show it.

I am feeling needy today. I am feeling a failure in everything I try and useless and broken and hurting in ways I can't even begin to describe. It's not the hormones (though I'm sure they're not helping this situation), it's not because I'm a girl. It's not because I'm incapable of seeing logic or reason or moving on and past and up.

It's because I need something extremely basic at this very moment. Touch. I need to know I'm genuinely not alone in this.... and the only way to get that is with a touch.

Ever have that moment when you "just want your mommy?" Yeah... that's the basics of this post - that maternal instinct that always seems to manage to take over and know just when you need a touch... no words, no lecture, nothing but a simple touch. Mothers are great at it... others can be, but it usually takes a mother to really understand what is needed without you ever having to say a word.

And I'm just so alone right now and can't get what I need.

1 comment:

  1. feeling the same way, today, with an added pinch of "but you don't deserve it..."
    please come over tomorrow, no matter how you're feeling! we can ignore the boys for a while and get in the hot tub or curl up on the couch :)

    ReplyDelete